Tuesday 22 November 2011

Renting in Taiwan, and surprises thrown in your face

3 days away from flying to Taiwan, Ah Wan told me I can't stay at her parents' apartment, which is located near the school. She was unhappy about the whole affair, especially after having gone through an earlier bad experience of ordering, paying for, but having the stock run out for a pair of boots she bidded for online. I suspect she felt bad, because before that piece of news, we were planning as to how we can make her parents' then-vacant apartment more live-able. Thought of getting a TV, bringing woolen blankets and her stereo system from Taitung, maybe purchase a dehumidifier. And all that changed in the blink of an eye when someone wanted to view and potentially rent the house long-term.

I have no stake in and no claim upon that any period of stay in that apartment, but my initial reaction was that it was too much a surprise, and it shouldn't have happened. But intuitively I knew it would be fine. In my hours awake after receiving the news (and this extends to even the earlier half of today) I told myself that all would turn out to be fine. After all, couldn't I go do my walking now? But, guess what? Ah Wan was pissed at that. She complained that I was fickle and that all these different ideas makes it difficult for her to know if she should continue to help me look for a place. I think because I was so bothered about her irritation that I couldn't sleep till 4am. I had this before, but not because of something on my mind. I tried Buddhist chants, which usually prepare me very very well for my sleep. I went downstairs to walk, and deposit some cash. Nothing worked.

Anyway, this morning I took some time and found a place that I am still uncertain about, largely because it is in close proximity (slightly more than 30m, but blocked by about 7 units, and 7 floors off the ground) to the railway tracks. Seems like, though, Ah Wan thinks it will be fine.

And, why did I put in this post? Well, I'm glad, despite having to spend extra money and precious time just before my all-important, pass-or-fail-my-degree examinations, I got a taste of what it is like to settle outside of home. Staying at home leaves many many things taken care of. THAT'S A LUXURY. Looking for a home (at least somewhere to call home for two months) outside my residence of years is a very good experience. It is difficult. It takes time. Life takes time to even maintain, not to say earn and prosper. And, in a very odd way, I am doing what I wanted to achieve in Singapore - move out. Not so that I disconnect from my parents, but to actually account for and attempt to maintain my life. So that, when the time comes, I won't go hungry and dirty, or otherwise down and out,when circumstances are less than ideal.

No comments: